Friday, September 18, 2009

Pfizer Launches Program for Newly Unemployed Americans

A reader sent me this letter on Friday.

What to do if you do not have health insurance and faced with cancer? I am trying to figure out what is important. I was hoping you might be able to give me some insight. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

These are the email messages that break my heart and motivate me to write about healthcare in America. I responded privately and offered my support. I provided a link to the American Cancer Society. I suggested that she fight for the best treatment out there, regardless of cost, and to proactively consult a bankruptcy attorney.

Such is life in America.

I don’t have many answers for unemployed and uninsured readers, but I have to believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Business leaders recognize that the status quo is killing us. Literally. Carl Camden of Kelly Services wrote about health care reform here, and even Jeff Kindler of Pfizer supports fundamental change.

Furthermore, Pfizer — my former employer — launched a new program called MAINTAIN. It’s a program that helps eligible unemployed Americans (and their families) who are in financial need and lack prescription coverage continue to get their Pfizer medicines free-of-charge for up to one year or until they become insured, whichever comes first. More than 70 Pfizer medicines are offered that treat a range of chronic health conditions.

Here’s where you can help fellow readers. What other programs are out there? How have you been managing your prescription costs while being unemployed? Were you aware that a program like MAINTAIN even existed? If you’re unemployed, will you use it? How can we share resources more effectively with our unemployed family and friends? Let me know what you think.

[Editor's note: I used to work for Pfizer but I am in no way benefitting from this post. I believe that in a time of 9.5% unemployment, a program like MAINTAIN is a good resources to share.]

source:http://punkrockhr.com/pfizer-launches-program-for-newly-unemployed-americans/

No comments:

Post a Comment